Modern life is unimaginable without electricity. The generation, transmission, distribution and utilization of electricity is made possible mainly through the work of Electrical Engineers. They design and build communication systems such as mobile phone and computer networks, design microelectronic silicon chips that are at the heart of modern computing devices, develop biomedical devices and instrumentation to saves lives, and advance new ‘green’ technologies that will power our homes and industries while protecting the environment.
The Electrical Engineering Program at Habib University is offering an innovative approach to engineering education, balancing both the theoretical and practical aspects. The program builds on the liberal arts core to provide foundational education in Electrical Engineering, along with exceptional technical knowledge in at least one sub-area within Electrical Engineering.
The program is supplementing traditional learning methods by community-based and project-based learning. The curriculum for Electrical Engineering at Habib is intensive and is an excellent preparation for further study, employment, or entrepreneurship. The Electrical Engineering program at Habib is focused on the individual and on guiding the individual to become a valuable and engaged member of the knowledge-based society. The program will cultivate competence and awareness in Habib graduates and will empower them to participate in advancements in this field. Traditional learning methods are generously supplemented by projects and project-based learning. Acquisition of knowledge through self-study lays the groundwork for life-long learning and for remaining professionally relevant. In a few years, these graduates will be in the market and their skills of analyzing, scrutinizing and identifying what is pertinent will be essential for their continuous success. Self-directed learning is essential and foundational for the ability to foresee emerging needs and trends, to sift through the deluge of information and identify the important.
To be an agent of positive change in society through excellence in locally contextualized and globally competitive liberal-arts and discipline-specific education and research, and to impart an understanding of contemporary issues and challenges facing the society.
Program Educational Objectives
Electrical Engineering program at Habib University aims to produce competent electrical engineers who
- have excellent technical expertise in the discipline, including the latest and emerging technologies;
- practice their profession responsibly, with an awareness of civic duties and contemporary issues, and an understanding of economic, social, environmental, professional and ethical issues and the impact of their work on society and environment;
- have an appreciation of non-technical disciplines, possess excellent communication skills, and are comfortable working in teams composed of individuals with diverse cultural and educational backgrounds;
- engage in the lifelong process of independent and reflective learning.
Program Learning Outcomes
Following Program Learning Outcomes (PLO) are designed to prepare graduates to attain the program educational objectives and subsume the PLOs of Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC) and Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
Electrical Engineering program at Habib University aims to produce electrical engineers who, at the time of graduation, have
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and to the solution of electrical engineering problems;
- an ability to design solutions for electrical engineering problems and design systems, components or processes that meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations;
- an ability to investigate electrical engineering problems in a methodical way including literature survey, design and conduct of experiments, analysis using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences, and interpretation of experimental data, and synthesis of information to derive valid conclusions;
- an ability to create, select and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools to engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations;
- an ability to apply reasoning informed by contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to professional engineering practice and solution to engineering problems;
- an ability to understand the impact of professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts and demonstrate knowledge of and need for sustainable development;
- an commitment to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of engineering practice;
- an ability to work effectively, as an individual or in a team, in multifaceted and /or multidisciplinary settings;
- an ability to communicate effectively, orally as well as in writing, with the engineering community and with society at large, such as being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions;
- an ability to demonstrate management skills and apply engineering principles to one’s own work, as a member and/or leader in a team, to manage projects in a multidisciplinary environment;
- an ability to recognize importance of, and pursue lifelong learning in the broader context of innovation and technological developments;
- a knowledge of contemporary issues.
The Academic Program
The first year of the program provides firm grounding in natural sciences, mathematics, computing and electrical engineering. Foundational courses in computer science and electrical engineering will provide students a meaningful introduction to both the disciplines. Students will then take core electrical engineering and mathematics courses that will provide a solid foundation for taking more advanced elective courses. The final year is devoted to a year-long capstone project, technical electives, and supporting courses. Alongside their specialized training, students are required to take courses outside their major to facilitate a broad exposure to knowledge. This includes the mandatory Liberal Core component.
Three program specializations are defined. Students have an option to specialize in one of these areas by taking appropriate elective courses in consultation with their academic advisor.
- Electronics and Embedded Systems
Modern electronics are ubiquitous in consumer, industrial, automotive, medical, commercial, and military applications. The percentage of electronics in traditionally mechanical systems, such as automobiles, has steadily increased to more than 30% and is expected to increase further. This trend of ‘electronification’ of society, coupled with the availability of inexpensive but powerful embedded systems, opens up a huge valley of opportunities for well-trained electronic engineers and entrepreneurs.
- Power and Energy Systems
Ready availability of electrical power at a reasonable price is essential for the economic development of a country. In order to come out of the current energy crisis Pakistan needs to launch more power generation projects, upgrade its transmission network and modernize the distribution system in order to reduce distribution losses. All this will be done by electrical engineers who specialize in power systems.
Cellular mobile phone networks, satellite and fiber-optics communication systems, and global positioning systems are playing a fundamental role in increasing the quality of life and improving the efficiency of the service sector. A well-knit telecommunications infrastructure is essential for the economic development of a country. In Pakistan we are witnessing the introduction of 4G LTE cellular phone systems, proliferation of data networks, and a shift towards electronically facilitated services by both the public and private sector. Telecommunications thrust is intended to sustain the positive growth in this industry by providing adequately trained technical managers, leaders, and entrepreneurs.